The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Saturday, March 28, 2015

What is "True Beauty"?


       Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or at least that is what the old saying says. Amanda Peet argues that “Beauty is only skin deep. If you go after someone just because she’s beautiful but don’t have anything to talk about, it’s going to get boring fast. You want to look beyond the surface and see if you can have fun or if you have anything in common with this person.” Is beauty something that is “only skin deep”? Or is Mrs. Peet correct in saying that “You want to look beyond the surface”?

        As a child, I always had a “love” for girls. I repeatedly went after girl after girl between the ages of 3 to 12 or 13. As the typical guy, I tried to show off my strength or something that I was good at to get a girl to like me, but over and over again I met defeat. Girls were more often disgusted or annoyed than impressed by what I did. Furthermore, around the age of 11, the Lord spoke to my heart and said that He wanted me to stop chasing the girls and seek Him. Yet, I spurned the prompting and responded that “I wasn’t ready yet.”

       I continued going after the pretty face that enamored me the most. But this time, there was a more tragic ending. For two years I had a crush on this one girl and it was made known by a friend. I developed a closer friendship with this girl than I had with any other: we talked, joked, and sat by each other. This time; however, her father got involved. After I wrote a note expressing my feelings about her, she got very upset and her dad talked to my dad. In short, I ended up having an uncomfortable talk with my father about the situation all because I didn’t listen to God’s warnings over a year and a half prior to this talk.

      I had some things in common with the girls I pursued. We had things to talk about and I had something in common with every one of them, but it was just heart break after heart break. If beauty is only skin deep that is a disheartening reality. From my own experience with the ladies, I have come to believe that true beauty is not how I perceive someone or how well I know them, but is a pure heart toward God. The Lord has transformed my mind and heart from seeking after “the ladies” to waiting for one that has beautiful character. If a woman is not beautiful on the inside, but a monster, will she be someone to pursue?

      In short, Mrs. Peet’s argument is very well grounded; however, it still seems to lack emphasis about the importance of character. Nonetheless, when she says, “You want to look beyond the surface and see….” she touches on an important principle. I only pursued young women because I liked the way they looked. Their physical features were my only attraction criteria and it in resulted in painful heartbreaks. Beauty is not about the looks only, there is much more involved, namely, the condition of their heart.

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks