The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Monday, February 10, 2014

Love


Love

 
The Mystery of Love

   God’s love for us is so amazing, indeed it is a mystery!

Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. 22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. Ephesians 5:21-33 (KJV), emphasis added

 

    All across America, another “love” which is not based on selflessness and personal sacrifice and commitment, but on sensual lust is broadcasted in schools, Disney, films, and pop culture (pagan culture). Which type of love do you consider to be real love?

     The cultures love definition is: Love is a feeling; it gives me everything I want, it allows me to fantasize away may days and drool over the body of my beloved. It is a strong attractive force which makes a kiss a worldwind, and without it it isn’t love. Romance is physical! With this said, sleeping together should be the greatest explosion and excitement of passion and thrive for two lovers.

         Comment: Why do we “love” like this? Because honestly, this is the definition that most seem to live by even if they won’t verbally admit to it. Why don’ we choose to show Biblical love to the one who God gives us to love, why don’t we show sacrificial commitment to that man (or woman) that God gives us to have and to hold? Whether or not we feel bubbly and infatuated with them? A good friend who extends his hand in marriage will make a fine lover and husband, so why do we over-romanticize things? Has Shakespeare and others so overwhelmed our minds that we do not have the perspective of the Bible any longer? If it so that the Bible has departed from our worldview, we need to repent and change our views.

   I was deceived, largely because of television, that love was about finding someone who made me happy and would “get physical.” Because of this, I spent the first twelve to thirteen years of my life pursuing “the ladies.” I proposed five times, I gave my heart away on numerous occasions, I entertained many thoughts and crushes that I shouldn’t have. I may have been young—my mother says I’ve “liked” girls since I was born—but the effects have been deep nonetheless. It was only by God’s grace that He kept me physically pure. Mentally and spiritually I can guarantee that I was not pure. Physically, I had never stepped so far as to kiss a young lady, although I burned with passion to do so. I very thankful for this, because on my wedding day, my wife will be the first and only woman that I will kiss, and I will love her with a love that is far more than a mere physical love.


 
I’ve found two mindsets compete in during the time that one must wait for a spouse: Pride (I can find the right person) and Humility (Lord, I will serve you and trust you to guide me to the companion you have for my life).
 

Christ displayed true love: it’s sacrificial

    God the Father gave us the greatest illustration of love that there is: He sacrificed His own Son (yea, literally Himself) for you and me. Love is not a feeling. It is not sensual, it is not an emotion that overwhelms you. You don’t fall into it and you don’t climb out of it. True love is committed as we saw before, but it is also sacrificial.

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16 (KJV)

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks