The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Testimony: The Faithfulness of God


My Testimony:

The Faithfulness of God


 

“Where your focus goes, the power flows…”—Vincent Newfield

 

“One thing that I have finally surrendered to God and determine to continue to, even as I write this, is to leave ‘the girls’ in God’s hands.”

~ Ryan Marks

 

        Growing up I always seemed to focus on girls before God. I accepted Christ at the age of four, but didn’t take Him seriously until 5th grade. At the age three I was already “girl crazy.” In fact, my mom says that I have always “liked” girls.

It turns out that ‘like’ was equivalent with LUST in my life.

       As I mentioned, at three I was already proven to be girl crazy. It was that year in my life when I came home from preschool and asked my mom if we could change my sister’s name to Anna, the name of the girl that I had a crush on.

    Between the ages of five and ten or eleven I proposed to three to five girls (I am not exactly sure how many anymore). However, in fifth and sixth grade, God interrupted my proposal rush and started dealing with me about how I “loved” girls more than Him. The reason that the Lord began to deal with me on the subject is that during my fifth and sixth grade years I had begun to grow close to the Lord. I served Him, received my prayer language, started worshiping Him passionately, began to pray for others, began getting-up by alarm to have a quiet time and started to write lyrics of praise.

       Although I was growing in God, I still didn’t want to give up “liking” girls. As a result I pursued a girl, who is now a good friend, for about two years. However, I stopped “following-my-heart” when her Dad got involved. Her Dad, a close friend and mentor of mine now, was an instrument in the hands of God. I was scared to death of him and his talk with my own father led to me backing off.

    Because I did not listen to the Holy Spirit’s promptings about putting girls ahead of Him, this confrontation had to come. Because of disobedience to God I was reproved by my father on behalf of hers and God dashed my own quest of following-my-heart for love like the world tells us to do. I had to be corrected by God, through my father, before He could bring our families so close together as He would in the future. Just a few years after this incident, her father became my mentor and I found my past had been forgiven and wasn’t mentioned.

      Yet despite the Lord’s correction, I hadn’t fully yielded, “completely surrendered.” Through seventh and eighth grade, I only concealed the way I felt, so now my once bold form of proposal became a carefully calculated mental sin of fantasy. I “liked” a few girls during this time, only to have God expose my wrong mindset and motives yet again.

     In the midst of these challenges, I was considered “ok.” People told me, that I was a pretty stable guy. As a man said that to me recently, I laughed inside as my mind raced through a part of this story of girl “trouble” and “obsession.”

      In high school, I listened to the audio book I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris a couple of times and immediately after doing so made a personal commitment to wait and see what God would do in my “love life.”  I can tell you that the journey through high school and in college has not been easy. I’m I guy and have still been attracted to a lot of young women, there’s been a couple that I thought I might even end up marrying one day. Thankfully, however, my focus has remained on the Lord’s approval and He has always guided me to His will.

      What has kept me stable amidst the emotional roller coasters of life is seeking the Lord and trusting Him. I can’t say that I have all the answers and I also can’t say that I have completely been through being single and am married for that has not happened yet, but I want to encourage you to not seek a relationship, but to trust in the Lord and focus on Him first and foremost. And then, when the time is right, God will supply a wife if that is His will (Matt. 6:33, Prov 19:14).

         As we go on in this article, I want to share with you some principles that I have learned as in my own journey with the Lord in this area of life.

  Where your attention goes the power flows.

  You can be mad at God and others simply because you didn’t understand why something happened.

  You can be shaken, but won’t fall and stay down when standing with the Lord.

If you continue blaming = inability to love and you become negative, which in turn produces anger and pride.

 Thankfulness breaks you free of negativity.

 Move forward when God directs you, otherwise, the grace won’t be there.

 

One Specific Example of During High School

    The Lord had just told me to continue waiting and not take action just a few weeks before. The Royal Rangers Pow Wow had come and I was selected to ride in the van with the younger Discovery Rangers (3rd-5th grade boys). I sat in the back and visited with a guy and he said something out of nowhere which shocked me. Now, it was gossip, but I so wanted to believe it; and yet the Holy Spirit inside said, “be cautious, do not just believe this.”

   The younger Ranger told me that the very girl I was just impressed upon to WAIT on God for had a crush on me. He said that the word was all over a particular ministry at my church. I tried to play it cautiously and asked why he thought this. He responded by telling me that whenever I would talk to this girl that she turned red. Ok, so what if she turns red? I never noticed this and it really wasn’t even close to being a “solid” rumor, of course are any rumors solid? NO!

    Ok, so I knew that a 5th or 6th grader was telling me this and I couldn’t just believe it, I mean I was in my second year of high school, but I so wanted to.

     I tried to put the gossip in the back of my head and forget about it but I just couldn’t….it would pop up again and again, like an annoying spam email. And the next day when I got up it was still troubling me, so I got up and took a walk on the campgrounds, a walk far back in the woods, well not really that far, I was on a dirt road; so that no one could hear me, and I talked to God for thirty minutes to an hour. I asked for courage to not give in to the temptation of believing this rumor that I so badly wanted to believe. Even if it was true, Proverbs warns of listening to gossip! I didn’t feel too much better after I talked to God, but I was strengthened and now I have found the Scripture reference to back up why. The Holy Spirit gave me this passage as I cried out to Him to remove the burden of the gossip, even though I didn’t know chapter and verse.

 

But they that wait upon the LORD shall  renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.  Isaiah 30:31 (KJV)

    This brings me to the time that I am now writing this, the journey isn’t done. God still wants me to wait, and the Divine Hand of a Providential God has definitely been at work in this area of my life. Despite my childish and ignorant responses at times, just look at how God was still there working during those hard times . . .  how HE continued to lead me back towards the path as a Faithful shepherd.

 

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13 (KJV)

 

Text Box: Lord, my prayer remains the same, “Please, show me things for what they really are, that I might not be deceived and dishonor you.”

    I have heard many stories about how people ‘used to be’ before they found God or how they didn’t trust HIM in a hard time. I think that is what Proverbs 28:13 means: confessing, saying,  “yes, I have done this, but by the Lord’s grace may l learn from it, follow HIS leading, and discard the blasphemous thoughts of this world, the flesh and the devil, that are so entrenched in my mind.”

     Truly, power does flow where your focus goes. Let’s focus on the right things, and let the natural power flow aid us instead of working against us, aiding our three-part enemy: the World, the Flesh, and the Devil. Seek the Lord first (Matt 6:33)!

 

I might not know a lot, but this I do:

God has been faithful, so why won’t HE continue to be?

 

For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. Isaiah 64:4 (KJV)

      That “beside thee” refers to revelation. What God ‘shows us’ is the only way to ‘see-the-future,’ that is in a sense, what HE did for Abraham and Noah.

  As you have hopefully seen God has been faithful in my life and He can and will be in your life. I don’t always understand His ways, nor can you (Isaiah 55). Yet I say like David, how mysterious are your ways O Lord…And you are Faithful!

 

God will give us the strength to stand if we seek and focus on

Him

(1 Cor. 10:13, Matt. 6:33)

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks