The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Daily Devotion from Ryan Marks book Thoughts

Thought 81

Humility–The Key to Change

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV

The Lord has made us a promise in this Scripture. If we will only humble ourselves and pray then just look and see what God will do! But what is this humility that we must have? Read 1 Samuel 2:7, 1 Kings 21:29, and 2 Kings 22:19. Do these Scriptures answer the question? Probably not, these passages deal with humility, but not the meaning; yet, please keep them in mind.

Noah Webster’s 1828 American Dictionary of the English Dictionary defines humble as:

1. Lowly ; modest ; meek ; submissive ; opposed to proud, haughty, arrogant, or assuming. In an evangelical sense, having a low opinion of one’s self, and a deep sense of unworthiness in the sight of God.

2. To make humble or lowly in mind ; to abase the pride or ; to reduce arrogance and self-dependence ; to give a low opinion of one’s moral worth ; to make meek and submissive to the divine will ; the evangelical sense.

Take some time now and get quiet before God. Examine your heart . . . . is it proud or humble? Are you in the middle of the road (lukewarm)? Ask Him to give you a heart transplant.

Prayer:

My heart is still proud, Lord; yet, I ask that You humble me. As I think on Your greatness, of the amazing things that You’ve done and the power that You posses, I feel small. Lord, please help me to think less of selfish desires when pride strikes and that I would be confident in You, my strength. Lord, I want to be humble, please make me so. In Jesus Name, Amen.

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6 NIV

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks