The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Daily Devotion from Ryan Marks book Thoughts


Thought 86

Are Water Parks Sinful?

          No, I do not believe that water parks, in and of themselves, are sinful, nothing is wrong with playing in the water. However, there is something at a water parks that Christians, especially men, must be aware of—the immodesty there.  Men can enjoy water parks for lustful reasons. For example, that mom over there might send a bunch of wrong thoughts through a man’s head, tempting him to dwell on lust. Although, water parks are not sinful in and of themselves, Christians need to watch out and realize the dangers that they might encounter here.

          I know that there are some Christians that do not really care about swimsuit choices or the Biblical standards of modesty; but these things are important and do effect people’s lives, so I believe and declare that they are worth examining God’s Word about. Whether you agree with me or not, the truth is that women need to cover up more when swimming and men need to learn to resist temptation: most of the time by simply not placing themselves in temptation’s playground. As Christians, we should be careful not to be a stumbling block for someone (Matt. 18:6). Sadly, however, some Christians embrace a spirit of rebellion element that says, “I do not care if other people struggle, that’s their problem. I am fine with this stuff. I’m normal. . . . they just need to grow up!” I have been on that end of the spectrum and thought those things as well, but I ask you again: do your life and your actions encourage others to stumble, even though you are free (1 Cor. 8:9)?

          I am not going to tell you that the Bible says that women are to have a certain length such and such on various clothing items, and I am not going to say that men should be pitied for their own problems and struggles when they sometimes willingly embrace them; but I do challenge you is to get alone with God and seek His face on whether or not you will be a stumbling block to others at water parks (whether you are male or female)—the Holy Spirit may tell you to go to a water park, but to dress a certain way. I also want to encourage the men who are reading, if you struggle with lust at a water park, then it is probably better that you just don’t go to one. And yes, I am saying that you should run from temptation like Joseph.

           I have made the mistake of not standing up for my beliefs many times, and one of them includes a water park on a vacation. Because I did not explain why I did not want to go, my family was not too happy with me and I was miserable. Trying to guard my eyes, I sat in the water park and did not participate in the activities. Instead, I pulled out Bible, prayed and spent some time in deep thought and battle.

Questions to ask Yourself:

V  Women, do you wear a swimsuit that you would feel totally comfortable wearing in front of Jesus Christ?

V  Men, what places do you need to stay away from so that you are not standing in temptation’s playground?

V  What is the Holy Spirit speaking to you in today’s message?

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks