The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Daily Devotion from Ryan Marks book Thoughts


Thought 118

Breaking DVD’s because of conviction

          There I was faced with a decision: would I break the DVD’s that I was convicted about or would I leave them sitting there on my shelf to be a painful reminder of disobedience to the Holy Spirit’s conviction. . . . . I ended up breaking $200 worth or more of my DVD’s and video games because I was convicted about them. They did not line-up with what I stood for as a Christian; yet I had often watched them and played them. Those movies displayed the false view of “macho” manhood, sexual immorality (the worldly view of love), lying, lust, and blasphemy of Jesus Christ’s Holy name. In the video games were ghosts, murder, the capability to beat virtual men to death, zombies, cursing, violence, and more. Those DVD’s and video games were a hindrance to my spiritual growth, and if I hadn’t obeyed the Holy Spirit’s conviction I would not have grown. Thankfully, I have learned this: God brings us, at times, to a point where we must make a decision: one decision is clearly of God and the other of our pride. At that point, even if I don’t want to, I need to do right thing and obey the Holy Spirit. Feeling like being obedient doesn’t matter; OBEDIENCE is what matters.

           Will you choose God’s way when the Holy Spirit brings you to an intersection where one option leads you away from God and the other towards obedience? Choose obedience! Being obedient will bring you closer to God.

           I had some accountability when I destroyed those DVD’s and video games—my brother and sister watched as I destroyed them: my brother laughing and my sister probably thinking I was crazy. I do not remember the whole incident in minute detail, and I don’t believe that I explained to my siblings why I was doing what I was doing, although I did have them there with me. At first, I felt nothing as I broke those DVD’s and video games, but as I broke several freedom began to come, rising up within my spirit. I felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest! After I was finished and my siblings had left, I was filled with joy and I felt so light, I felt free! HIS presence was upon me and I was just enjoying it! Yes, God brought freedom, but it was not instantaneous, rather I had to continue being obedient to receive it.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”   

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks