The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

The Most Important Question You'll ever be Asked:

Translate

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Daily Devotion from Ryan Marks book Thoughts


Thought 119

                                                                        Broccoli

         During my mother’s pregnancy with my little brother Ben, it seemed like my family had to eat broccoli every night. In reality it was not every night, but it got old fast! I remember many times where I groaned when I saw more broccoli on the table and whenever my Dad heard it he gave me another big helping for voicing my opinion. I should have learned a lot about keeping my mouth shut about broccoli and other things at that time in my life, but I didn’t. I did not apply the principle my father was trying to teach me to other areas of my life, and as a result, I only learned to keep my mouth shut so that I didn’t have to eat more of what I did not like, instead of applying the self-control that keeps the dangerous act of complaining (it is sin) away.

Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.” Numbers 11:1 NIV

“Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.” James 5:9 NASB

“And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.” 1 Corinthians 10:10 NIV

"’Stop grumbling among yourselves,’ Jesus answered.” John 6:43 NIV

“It's better to live alone in the desert than with a quarrelsome, complaining wife.” Proverbs 21:19 NLT

“Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 NIV

         Apparently, God doesn’t like complaining. It is a sin and it is wrong. It infects other people, it is punished, and it is just plain evil.

Questions for Application:

V  How can you apply this story to holding your own mouth shut?

V  Where are you complaining?

V  Now that you realize the seriousness with which God addresses complaining, what are you going to do? Will you earnestly strive to not complain, or will you continue to do so?  

“. . . . ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.’ “~ Matthew 3:2 NIV

The Podcast

The Podcast
Find it on Itunes by searching Ryan Marks